Creating Trauma-Sensitive Schools: Using Relationships to Promote Growth & Learning
Keynote Speaker Dr. Cassie Yackley
Update Your Toolbox with Growth,
Mindset and Positive Psychology
With Christina Flanders & Tari Selig
Dr. Cassie Yackley has spent more than 25 years addressing the impact of adverse childhood experiences including trauma on children, families, and systems. She connects discoveries from developmental neuroscience and attachment to help audiences learn how reflective practice leads to better working environments and outcomes.
Dr. Yackley's projects include Project Grow, Growing Health Families, and Connecting Young Children and their Caregivers to Care (CYCCC). These projects build trauma-informed systems of care in NH schools, mental health centers, and communities. She has developed training and consulted with organizations and systems shifting to a reflective, trauma-informed stance including NH Hospital, Crotched Mountain, the Manchester police, and many NH and Maine schools.
Dr. Christina Flanders, Psy.D, NCSP, is an assistant professor of counselor education and school psychology at Plymouth State University. Dr. Flanders is interested in teaching grit, growth mindset, positive psychology, and improving social-emotional competencies in children and youth.
Tari Selig, M.Ed., CAGS, NCSP, works in the Shaker Regional School District and has worked with children and teenagers with various mental health diagnoses and developmental disabilities.
Participants will be able to:
Creating Trauma Sensitive Schools:
- Describe the impact of trauma on the developing brain and the prevalence of trauma exposure in schools
- Explain how secondary trauma impacts educators and healthy ways of coping
- Demonstrate how to use reflective practice as a tool for personal and professional growth
- Describe science of relationships and their power to foster learning and growth
- List Trauma-sensitive principles, practices and procedures to address the impact of trauma on learners and increase their ability to succeed in the school environment
- Integrate trauma-sensitive practices with multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS)
Growth Mindset and Positive Psychology:
- Describe and list at least three strategies to use with children and youth associated with growth mindset and positive psychology.
Brochure - TBA